This tutorial is meant for someone not familiar with the Internet and explains the benefits of having web site and how to go about getting one.
- What is a web site for?
- Could be a catalog or display case,
- a storefront on the Internet,
- a sales brochure,
- a customer relations newsletter,
- your voice to the world
- Why have a website?
- To provide info about your product or service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year,
- to increase size of your market
- and because your competition has one.
- What are the steps to get a website?
- First you need to choose a domain name that is not already used by someone else,
- next you need to get it registered and
- fill the site with content.
What does one need in a basic website?
- Description of offered products and /or services,
- contact information: phone number, email, address, hours of operation (if applicable).
Where would the website be located?
- On the server of the hosting company of your choice. Base the choice on your needs. It is a good
idea to have a server with data base capability.
How do search engines find the website?
- If you just wait long enough they will find it by crawling the web
- a better way is to submit your site to search engines
- a paid listing will get it listed really fast.
What are the extra features one can add to the website?
- More content: portfolio,experience, testimonials, links,documents, downloads (.pdf)
- Shopping cart (e-commerce)
- Discussion lists, Newsletters
What are the top 10 problems inexperienced designer might overlook?
- Flash website only, with no alternate site: people who do not have the proper version of flash
downloaded will not see the site at all.
- Too big fixed width page design: one can see only part of the page on older computer.
- Using strong graphic pattern as text background , or small fonts with fixed size, makes text
difficult to read.
- Not having enough contrast between text and background colors
- Non-intuitive navigation
- Using animations active all the time that user cannot stop
- Graphics and photos too big, not optimized for fast download
- Using features not compatible with majority of browsers
- Forms set up for wrong number of characters
- Links that do not go anywhere.
How do I sell my products on the internet?
Can AmberDot LLC help me design the website? Yes we can. Call AmberDot 858-523-0829, or use the inquiry form, or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org, we will gladly help you with this goal.